I’m getting close to finishing my hard drive upgrade for my desktop at home (ran out of space for ripping CDs) and the amount of storage I now have made me start thinking back to the computers I’ve had over my lifetime and how the storage specs have progressed
- Apple IIe – No hard drive, just a 360 kB floppy drive (…720 kB thanks to a hole punch)
- Mac LC – 40 MB (I have picture files large than that)
- Power Mac 8100 – 250 MB (The drive was huge! For a while, at least)
- Mac PPC G3 – 4 GB (OS X has a system requirement of 3 GB, I think I can upgrade)
- Home-built dual Celeron – 40 GB (Now that’s huge… right?)
- Home-built P3 server – 120 GB (That is huge, I’m never going to run out of room now)
- Home-built MCE – .8 TB (Actually it’s 1.6 TB of drives mirrored for data protection)
It’s kind of wild, just a couple of years ago that amount of storage seemed obscene… now it’s just necessary.
Care to take any bets on how long it takes me to be cramped for space?