Engine refresh – turbo dry fit (day 13)

I started off my work today with a bunch of research into Oetiker clamps. These clamps are the special, single use clamps which Audi (and other manufacturers) use all over the engine, especially on high pressure systems like fuel lines. There are a number of hoses I need to replace as well as hoses I had to break the old clamp to remove from the car. I spent about 15 minutes going through the engine compartment taking stock of the sizes I’d need… and then two to three times that amount of time online trying to find the most economical way to order multiple sizes in less than lots of 100.

After spending too much time shopping for parts, I dry-fit the turbos to the engine. I wanted to make sure they were lined up correctly on the exhaust manifolds and that I had all the right parts to put them together correctly. The turbos from XSPower came with a great supply of needed gaskets and crush washers, but I found the stock banjo bolts were too short to get the thread to catch with new washers from XS. Looks like I’m going to need to do some research (do I need new, longer bolts, different washers or do I flatten the new ones a bit?).

Time invested: 3 hours

New turbochargers – Day 12

Today I spent a few hours playing with my new parts.

Out with the old

I took the driver’s side turbo off, separated it from the exhaust manifold and I bolted the new passenger side turbo up to the passenger exhaust manifold.

Clocked correctly?

One thing I am a bit curious about, the turbo has a divot that looks to be intended for exhaust manifold clearance. The turbo housing appears, however, to be a few degrees off and is making contact with the manifold. I will need to recheck this once it’s on the car to make sure the turbo is clocked correctly.

Time invested: 3 hours

Engine refresh – day 9

Passenger side turbo is off… and took much longer than expected (which I should start to expect).

Don’t try this at home

One more thing I surely would have found crazy frustrating if the engine wasn’t out of the car. In order to take the passenger turbo completely out there are a number of fluid lines which need to be disconnected. For some of the bolts it’s impossible to get normal-sized tools in to reach them (and I only have normal-sized tools). To get the turbo loose I cheated by loosening the housing and rotating it to gain better access. I wouldn’t recommend this, however, if you’re not planning on replacing or rebuilding your turbos as you could damage them.

Accessories going back on

I also started putting the accessories back on the front of the engine. I need a new idler wheel for the accessory belt, so am not completely done with that part of the refresh.

Time invested: 6 hours

Preparing for new brakes – Day 7

I took a day off working on the engine today and focused on brakes (sort of).

It could be argued that the brakes on the B6 A4 are undersized for normal duties. They will stop the car, no problem, but warping is common. For my upgrade I will be going with a set of Brembo 6 piston calipers which require more wheel clearance than the stock setup. To make room I’ll need to order some wheel spacers and I want to get the spacing correct. I used some cheap spacers to test fit the wheels and make sure they would stay inside the fenders.

At the same time I put in some temporary hub adapters to scale down the bore of the B8 wheels to match my B6 hub. It was totally worth the $20 I spent on the set, it cured the vibration I was getting on the highway (see Day 6).

Time invested, a couple hours of jacking the car up, putting it down and then jacking it up again to add spacers.